Just 8 kilometres drive away from the Phnom Penh International Airport, Himawari Hotel Apartments located along Sisowath Quay, combines scenic beauty with easy access to the City Centre and nearby attractions.
Phnom Penh is situated where the Tonle Sap, Tonle Bassac and Mekong Rivers converge. An active riverfront combined with dozens of restaurants and bars offering al fresco dining where locals and tourists unwind.
Built in 1866, the site contains various buildings of interest, including the Khmer-style Throne Hall, now used for special ceremonial occasions. South of the Throne Hall are the Royal Treasury and the Villa of Napoleon III, built in Egypt in 1866, for the opening of the Suez Canal, and was later presented to the King of Cambodia. The famous Silver Pagoda, originally constructed of wood in 1866, was expanded in 1962 by King Sihanouk who had the floor inlaid with 5,329 solid silver tiles, hence its name.
The National Museum of Cambodia in Phnom Penh is Cambodia's largest museum of cultural history and is the country's leading historical and archaeological museum. It houses one of the world's largest collections of Khmer art, including sculptural, ceramics, bronzes, and ethnographic objects. The Museum’s collection includes over 14,000 items, from prehistoric times to periods before, during, and after the Khmer Empire, which at its height stretched from Thailand, across present-day Cambodia, to southern Vietnam. The Museum buildings, inspired by Khmer temple architecture, were constructed between 1917 and 1924, the museum was officially inaugurated in 1920 and renovated in 1968.
Famous Buddhist temple (Wat) in Phnom Penh, this was built in 1373. Standing at 27 metres, it is the tallest religious structure in the city. Built on an artificial hill by a wealthy widow Daun Chi Penh after a great flood washed statues of Buddha's downstream, it has since been renovated. There have been many additions to the original shrines over the centuries. The largest stupa houses the ashes of King Ponhea Yat and it is the center of city celebration for the Khmer New Year, and Pchum Ben.
This monument commemorates the end of French's rule over Cambodia in 1953. It stands on the intersection of Norodom Boulevard and Sihanouk Boulevard in the centre of the city. It is in the form of a lotus-shaped stupa, of the style seen at the great Khmer temple at Angkor Wat and other Khmer historical sites. The Independence Monument was designed by the influential Cambodian modern architect Vann Molyvann. It is also used as a memorial place dedicated to the Cambodian's patriot who died for the country.
The Russian Market is popular among tourists, local expatriates and Cambodians alike. It is so called because of its popularity with Russian expatriates during the 1980s. Inside you can find exotic foods, antique furniture, traditional carvings and handicraft, hand-woven silk, silverware, gems, bags, shoes and clothing and so much more.
Originally built as a secondary school named Tuol Svay Prey High School in 1960, during the reign of Preah Batnorodom Sihanouk, the Khmer Rouge converted this into a torture and interrogation centre to extract 'confessions' from people of anti-government sentiment. Many victims were women and children incarcerated along with the 'suspected' father. Documents recovered indicate that over 17,000 persons had been imprisoned there between 1975 and 1978.